Jeff's Egg Nog
1 Dozen eggs (pasteurized eggs are best, Davidson's "Safest Choise Eggs" available from Papa Joes).
1 Quart Half and Half
1 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream
1 Cup Sugar
Nutmeg - (4 tablespoons or to taste)
Vanilla Extract - (1 tablespoon or to taste)
1 cup Rum or Bourbon (optional when using pasteurized eggs)
1) Separate Egg Whites from Yolks. Store Egg Whites in refrigerator for later use.
2) Add sugar, vanilla extract, nutmeg to egg yolks, mixing thoroughly. Add Rum (optional) and mix thoroughly. Store in refrigerator for later use.
Second (or later) Day:
IMPORTANT: If not using pastuerized eggs, you must use 80 proof or higher alchohol and leave Rum/Yolk mixture in fridge for at least 24 hours.
1) Whip Egg Whites with a hand or electric mixer using an aerating mixer whisk. Add some sugar to egg whites to taste. Whip until they "peak" when pulling out the whisk. Place whipped egg whites in large mixing bowl and set aside.
2) Whip Heavy Whipping Cream it is the consistency of cool whip, adding sugar to taste. Then add to egg whites in large mixing bowl.
3) Add egg yolk mixture to large mixing bowl and mix on slow setting with whisk or normal beaters.
4) Add Quart of Half and Half and mix on slow setting with whisk or normal beaters.
5) Add Nutmeg to taste and mix on slow setting with whisk or normal beaters.
Yield: About 1.5 gallons of egg nog with (optional about 2.5% alchohol by volume).